Monday, September 19, 2011

One week down ? more to go...

Raul successfully checked in with immigration today, so he can check that off of his list. He spent the night in Mexico City last night and was able to walk around a little bit and get a "real coffee" complete with cream and sugar. It sounded like enjoyed his time there. He should be back "home" in Santa Monica by now. He called me earlier this evening from the town where he gets off of the bus and catches a taxi for the rest of his trip home.

Raul has a couple of projects planned for this week, so hopefully that will make time pass a little more quickly. He is planning on fixing a fence and making a gate for his paternal grandmother and her caretaker, an elderly cousin named Lupita. I can tell that he already has a soft spot in his heart for these ladies.  He's planning on spending most of his time at their home, though he will still sleep at his maternal grandfather's. Raul will also be helping his grandfather paint some doors on his home.

One thing that has surprised me is the cost of living in Santa Monica. Though some things like dining out are relatively inexpensive, other things cost as much as they do here. For example, a bottle of drinking water is about $1 and a coke costs even more than that.

I'm starting to get back into the swing of school and work and I have a somewhat regular nightly routine going now. Most of my belongings are unpacked, though I am still behind in doing laundry. I have yet to start on the many thank yous that I want to write, but I'm sure I will get started on those pretty soon as well. I still miss eating dinner with my hubby and having him just text away during the day, but I am thankful that we have been able to maintain regular contact.

Without a doubt, your prayers are making a difference to us. We are thankful for Raul's safe travels and the sense of peace that we have in the midst of this storm. I am reminded of the line of a song that goes, "Sometimes he calms the storm and other times he calms his child." Various storms in my life have been raging in the past year, yet God has definitely been calming this child.

No comments:

Post a Comment