Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 3 Adjusting

Today seemed to be a better day for both of us. So far, I have only cried once today and that was right after getting off the phone with Raul, so that's an improvement! Raul called me earlier in the evening today and he seemed to be a little more optimistic about sticking it out a little longer at his grandpa's, chalking most of his reservations about staying there up to culture shock. Apparently, it will take him a while to get used to scorpions in his bedroom, the sounds of dogs fighting outside, one lane roads, and roosters waking him up at the crack of dawn.

His plan as of now is to stay there long enough to get to know the family that he has down there and to help out where he can. Once he gets somewhat established there, he'll start venturing out a bit more. I'm planning on meeting him in Puerto Vallarta sometime in November for a mini-vacation. Thank goodness we saved some of our wedding money for when we had time to take a "real honeymoon".  While we're there, we hope to find out more about the cost of living and the employment opportunities there as well as to meet face to face with our "contact person" there. I'm eagerly looking forward to traveling to Puerto Vallarta, but we have to wait until we know the date of his first immigration interview before we can buy my plane ticket. I would hate to be in Puerto Vallarta while he's stuck in Juarez.

One positive thing about Raul staying with his grandpa is that his grandpa is one of the few people in that area to actually have a landline at home, so I should be able to talk to him on a regular basis. It's amazing how much better things seem when I get to hear his voice.

I thought I would have plenty of free time on my hands now, but my evenings have been filled with packing and moving and soon I'll have to buckle down and actually finish my wedding thank yous (that I wanted to have done by June) and get back into the habit of reading and doing homework. I had also hoped to get to bed earlier, but having a roommate to chat with hasnt really helped me reach that goal thus far. :)

Speaking of going to bed... I should be headed there soon. Thanks again to everyone who has shown us your support through prayers, phone calls, emails, cards, texts, monetary gifts and so much more. We love you guys and we feel very loved as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment