Friday, April 20, 2012

A New Timeline

 Mark 8:35-36
"If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?"

The Scripture above really hit home for me in this time of waiting. We still have no idea when we will hear from immigration. According to the old timeline, we should've gotten a letter by today stating whether our waiver was approved or whether we were sent for further review. However, it appears that things have changed and the fast track now takes from 2 to 6 months to hear something and the slow track may have to wait an additional 6 months beyond that. So, we really have no idea where we are on the waiting timeline or even which track we're on. All we know is that we are waiting and trusting (or at least trying to trust).

So, why did this passage in Mark speak to me so much? Much of my daily battle is in giving up "my life" for God's life that he has called us to live. God's desire for The Gizzos is that we live the life he has called us to live and the point of that life is not our comfort but for us to bring Him glory and to lead others to Him. I go between arguing with God that really the best place for us is the U.S. and trusting that this is part of his plan and that wherever we end up, He will use our lives as living sacrifices for him. What a joy there can be in living life for the One who created it. Ultimately, my (our) heart's desire is to do what God has called us to do and be where God has called us to be, but sometimes my mind has a little trouble catching  up with my heart!

Raul's phone lines were down for most of last week and a couple of days this week. When we did get to talk, he had much to catch me up on.The biggest news is that he is now a kind of volunteer police officer there in Santa Monica. He was talked into volunteering after some of the other volunteers observed him breaking up some fights and helping an older gentleman back to his home after a celebration. Wednesday nights he is on duty and completes rounds to make sure that stores are closed by a certain time and to generally keep an eye on things. He gets his official credentials and t-shirt at the end of this month! I can't wait to see pictures of my man in uniform! ;)

There's nothing much to report in my neck of the woods. I am planning on visiting Raul in the beginning of July when I get more vacation time for work. Deciding when to buy the tickets has been a bit tricky because I don't really want to throw away money on the off chance that Raul will get approved to come home earlier than thought. However, I don't think I'll even care about the wasted ticket if that's the case!

Thanks again for your love, support, and prayers and keep 'em coming!

1 comment: